Vowel Sticks is a great activity for teaching and practicing short vowel sounds. The self checking feature makes the activity perfect for use in literacy centers.
Items to Gather:
- 20 Large Craft Sticks
- Black and Red Sharpie Fine Point Markers
- Small Foam Star (optional). I purchased these in the teacher's section at Office Max
Instructions:1. Print the pdf file with the vowel discs on cardstock. Cut the discs along the dotted lines.
2. Glue the vowel disc at the end of each large craft stick.
3. With the black Sharpie marker, write vowels on the craft stick. You may choose to differentiate this activity by writing 2, 3, 4 or 5 vowels on the stick. Be sure to write the correct vowel for the picture and then the distractor vowels.
4. With the red Sharpie marker, place a dot on the back side of the craft stick behind the correct vowel for the picture.
Click HERE or on the above picture to download the Vowel Sticks file.
Your students will name the picture and choose the correct vowel by placing the clothespin over the vowel. They will then flip over the stick and if the clothespin is covering the red dot, the answer is correct!
Hope you enjoy this activity!