Items to Gather:
- ribbon or strips of paper
- clothes pins
- envelopes or library card pockets
- index cards
1. Set up your bulletin board with the header:
13 Books in 2013
2. Have a name tag or picture of each student hanging with ribbon or strips of paper hanging from each.
I made this 2013 "mask" for each student (simply di-cut the numbers, colored them, laminated them, and then hot glued them together) to hold up and use in their picture, they also got to hold their favorite book up in the picture. For the strips I just cut paper and laminated them.
3. Discuss with your class that the goal for 2013 (until the rest of the school year) they are going to try and read 13 grade level appropriate books, each!
4. As they read a book they will make a "copy" of each book's cover using an envelope or library card pocket.
5. Inside each envelope or library card pocket they will put an index card on which they will write a summary of their book.
6. Hot glue a clothes pin to each envelope or library card pocket and let them clip it to the ribbon or paper strips.
1. As soon as I get back into my classroom I will post actual pictures of this idea and update the blog! I just couldn't wait to share it with you.
Best of Luck!