These R-Controlled Vowel Sticks are great for teaching and practicing this phonics skills. The self checking feature makes the activity perfect for use in literacy centers.
Items to Gather:
- 19 Large Craft Sticks
- Black and Blue Sharpie Fine Point Markers
- Small Foam Star (optional). I purchased these in the teacher's section at Office Max
Instructions:1. Print the pdf file with the r-controlled vowel pictures on cardstock. Cut out the discs.
2. Glue the r- controlled vowel disc at the end of each large craft stick.
3. With the black Sharpie marker, write r-controlled vowels on the craft stick. You can differentiate this activity by varying the number of r-controlled vowels you place on the stick. Be sure to write the correct r-controlled vowel for the picture and then the distractor vowels.
4. With the blue Sharpie marker, place a dot on the back side of the craft stick behind the correct r-controlled vowel for the picture.
Click HERE or on the above picture to download the R-Controlled Vowel Sticks file.
Your students will name the picture and choose the correct r-controlled vowel by placing the clothespin over the it. They will then flip over the stick and if the clothespin is covering the blue dot, the answer is correct!
Hope you enjoy this activity!